What items are prohibited by IATA for shipping purposes and can’t be delivered through forward2me?
Regulations on Restricted and Prohibited Items
For your guidance, we' have provided a detailed list of products that cannot be shipped or are restricted for shipping purposes. We have tried to make this page as complete as possible, but it is not necessarily exhaustive. There may be other items not specifically named which fall into one of the following categories.
Commonly Prohibited Items
Export and important regulations prohibit the shipping of the following categories of goods.
- Precious metals and stones
- Antiques (breakable and/or fragile)
- Cash/Currency – banknotes & coins
- Lottery Tickets or any gambling devices that are prohibited by law
- Traveler's checks
- Counterfeit or imitation money
- Credit cards and credit card readers
Unidentifiable Items - Including but not limited to items listed below without manufacturer label.
- Substances or chemicals
- Non-prescription medications
- Vitamins or supplements
- Food items
Hazardous Materials including Explosive, Toxic and Dangerous Products
- Irradiating apparatus and radioactive materials
- Explosives including gunpowder and dynamite
- Firecrackers and fireworks
- Fire extinguishers
- Wastes as defined in the IATA regulations
- Combustible material
- Human body parts & remains, including ashes
Military Items & Weapons
- Night vision, Infra Red/Thermal imagers/cameras and related items
- Firearms, ammunition or firearm parts and accessories
- Any types of Guns
- Knives over 5" in Length
- Swords, Bayonets, Archery Bows & Kits
- Law enforcement tactical gear or training apparatus
- Military tactical gear or training apparatus
- Law enforcement uniforms, IDs and badges (genuine or imitations)
- Pepper Spray
Drugs and Tobacco Products
- Illegal Narcotics
- Prescription medications including dental & veterinary
- Electronic cigarettes and liquids
- Cigarettes and Cigars
- Tobacco and tobacco products including chewing tobacco
Pornographic and Obscene Material
- Pornographic material
- Erotic publications (e.g., videos and DVDs)
Animals & Plants
- Live Animals or Insects
- Animal Carcasses
- Live plants and plant materials
- Plant Seeds
The following items are restricted (and generally incur an extra fee from our couriers) or cannot be shipped by our couriers to some countries. Please contact Customer Services for more information.
We may be able to ship some of these items depending on the product, the product size and the destination country.
- Perfumes, Colognes, Eau de toilette, After Shave
- Nail polish and Nail Polish Remover
- Cigarette lighters, gas lighters
- Some hair care products
- Compressed gas or gas cylinders
- Engine and Motor oil
- Turpentine and Paint Thinners
- Some household cleaners
- Paint and paint guns
- Stains & Varnishes
- Solvents, Glue and Adhesives
- Printer toner cartridges
- Alcohol – can only be shipped internationally with UPS and only to some countries
- Steering wheels with Air Bags
As you may know, there is a risk of certain lithium batteries catching fire. New regulations restrict the shipment of certain types of lithium batteries, which are considered "Dangerous Goods". Although not all lithium batteries are affected by these regulations, be sure to check your product specifications carefully against the restrictions below.
- Over 2.7 Wh and less than 100 Wh per battery and more than two batteries per box OR over 2.7 Wh and less than 100 Wh per battery and more than 8 cells per package.
Loose Lithium-Ion Batteries
- Power banks, battery packs, cell phone batteries, laptop batteries. All external battery packs and power banks are now regulated to ship and listed as hazardous.
Lithium-Ion Batteries with Equipment
- A laptop with a battery outside of it but shipping with it CAN ship, providing the battery is under 100 Wh and packaged with equipment (same box, inside of another box).
- Camera & camera battery CAN ship only 1 new battery per shipment with equipment. Must be sent in the box.
Lithium-Ion Batteries Inside Equipment
- Batteries inside iPhone, iPad, Kindle, Nook CAN be shipped.
- Cannot be shipped in any given situation.
We will not ship any lithium batteries (ion or metal type) that are confirmed or suspected to be defective or damaged.
For more information please see the IATA guidelines here
forward2me prohibits any items which are prohibited by any laws, regulations, or statutes of any federal, state, or local government of any country through which the shipment may be carried. Any items that would require forward2me to obtain a special license to transport the shipment are also prohibited. Finally, forward2me prohibits items that would damage equipment, personnel, or other packages.
forward2me reserves the right to stop a shipment at any stage of the processing as per our Terms & Conditions here https://www.forward2me.com/terms-of-trade/
Whilst forward2me ensures compliance with IATA shipping regulations we have successfully shipped millions of parcels to thousands of addresses in 200 + countries.